28 August 2011

Homeschool Art: Lesson 1

Friday was the last day of our "trial" week in which we tried out the various subjects that we will be homeschooling beginning tomorrow. We started the day with art, which I have learned I am not nearly as prepared as I thought I would be regarding materials. The book we are using is called Discovering Great Artists and the first lesson was to be an egg wash paint in the style of Giotto. Well, of course I didn't have what I needed, so I unwrapped the neat oil pastels and looked in the index to see what lesson we could use them in.

Degas it was! I didn't really know much about him, so it was fun for both of us. We read the workbook paragraphs about Degas, then went over to smarthistory,org for a little video. Smarthistory is a great resource for high school or college students, I'm sure, but poor El was bored so we moved on over to YouTube where we found a much more entertaining presentation. We completed the lesson by using the techniques Degas used to paint our own pictures. El was so excited about how his turned out that he wanted to stop and make a video using his new DV camera, which is exactly why I'm posting. Here you go: A third grader's video about Edgar Degas.

No comments:

Post a Comment